Unusual Craft Tools and Materials
Out of ideas for interesting texture creation? Look no further than for unusual craft tools! The items below were used to create background textures with paint or other texture mediums.
Out Of The Ordinary Crafting
A list of unusual craft tools that we've used to create interesting prints and imprints to add textures on crafts:
- Dough rollers (the textured type they use for kids play dough).
- Seashells and Coral.
- Hardware Stores have loads of things with interesting patterns on to create texture with.
- Tie rope around thick cardboard squares and use to print.
- Glue leather to a block of polystyrene or wood and use to print - get off-cuts from an upholsterer!
- Molded serving plates with interesting patterns on.
- Mesh is a winner.
- Hosepipe or the thick pipe from a swimming pool cleaner.
- Blocks of soft wood, reinforce the grain with the tip of an old pen, use to print - get off-cuts from a woodworker or kitchen cabinetmaker.
- All types of fencing create beautiful background imprints.
- Know a builder? Ask for unusual craft tools like tile off cuts - white, black, slate, trimmings, cornices, wood!
- Cookie cutters. You can do so much more with them besides for baking - super unusual craft tools!
- Food graters and wax create awesome texture on paper - See TEXTURED PAPER! For more interesting ways to create texture on paper.
- Plastic containers to add shapes.
- Paint glue in patterns. Scatter some colored crushed glass, sand, crushed gravel or brick pieces on the glue.
- Paper press different shapes of colorful autumn leaves, glue on as is or cover with paint in outrageous colors!
- Plastic greengrocer mesh bags (old one but still works!)
- Roll a ball over texture mediums (spiky rubber/plastic easy grip type for small kids).
- Bathroom Sponges - pinch a few tiny pieces out for an all "natural" sponge effect.
- The caps of just about anything.
- Drip 3 different complimenting paint colors on a broad thick paintbrush and flick it across a corner, the centre or one side of a flat surface.
- Dog bit the soccer ball to pieces - great! Flatten out and use to make imprints!
- Fruit gone off - a dried out orange makes good prints and so does fresh thick orange or lemon peel.
- Water Spray Bottles - spray thicker spatters of paint or learn the paint spatter technique with a paintbrush.
- A large syringe gives a great squirt of paint - it takes time to dry! Try gold or silver paint for that last touch.
These are only a few ideas of unusual craft tools, there are hundreds more but we hope we have encouraged you to investigate!
Basically you just have to walk around and you will find ample great texture producing objects in and around your own home! Try the neighbors if they are nice!
When you do find something really interesting - let us know we would like to try it!!
Paint Techniques For Crafts
Paint Techniques from the Professionals
Every home has items that can be transformed into unusual craft tools — you just have to know where to look, the kitchen is a great place to start. Using household items like paper or plastic bags, feathers or an item of choice, you can be creative and have fun with paint techniques. The following are a variety of techniques to try, but don’t be afraid to venture out and create a finish of your own.
These techniques are known to be used on walls but when you create art or crafts these techniques come in very handy as back ground textures.
A simple way to add texture to a surface.
- Dab a sponge into a container of paint.
- Blot off any excess before applying it to the surface.
- Then, dab the paint-covered sponge onto the surface you are decorating.
- A great technique for kids to have fun with as well as for adults.
- Alter this technique by replacing the sponge with products such as Bubble Wrap or a few crumpled plastic bags, to create different patterns with paint.
- Using a second color, sponge over the base color.
- Dab a clean sponge firmly over the freshly applied paint to remove it from the surface.
- The result is a two-tone, light texture.
Accomplish this effect easily with a straight edge, painter’s tape, paint and a paintbrush.
- Tape off areas of the surface with a tape that will peel off easily without damaging the finish.
- Once all of the tape is applied to your liking, paint over the entire area.
- After the area is covered, strip away the tape, pulling it from the surface at an angle.
- The result is clean, straight lines.
Rag on or Rag off.
- Crumple the rag and apply to wet paint to create the rag off technique.
- The rag on technique is accomplished by dabbing the rag into paint and applying it to a dry surface.
- Both techniques add great texture.
- Two different effects can be created just by changing the application with the rag: either press on the rag in a repetitive motion (similar to sponging) or, start at the top and roll the rag down.
An easy way to create the textured look of fabric.
- Dip a clean, rigid brush, such as a household cleaning brush or specialty brush, in paint and dab off excess.
- Start at the top, position the brush horizontally, and pull the brush down, creating a vertical stripe.
- After the vertical stripes have been made, you can start at the top again and position the brush vertically, but moving the brush horizontally to create a checkered pattern.
- You can also drag off the surface by doing the same motion over a small area of wet paint.
- By swooshing the brush from left to right, the surface will look natural.
- Try a criss-cross method to add more texture.
Did you find the 'Unusual Craft Tools' page inspiring? We value your opinion please let us know if these craft techniques and instructions were useful to you at the link below or send us some of your own super ideas to try!
Contact us with your ideas to improve this Easy Crafts page!
Go to the HOME PAGE from UNUSUAL CRAFT TOOLS
*Fun-Stuff-To-Do.com is a participant in the Amazon EU
Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon UK/ Amazon GERMANY/ Amazon FRANCE/ Amazon ITALY/ Amazon SPAIN.*
*You can also find products on Amazon CANADA/ Amazon CHINA/ Amazon BRAZIL/ Amazon INDIA/ Amazon JAPAN/ Amazon MEXICO.*
It does NOT cost you an extra dime but sure helps us to maintain this site, so please support us by doing your Amazon shopping through our links - thank you!